Monday, June 2, 2008

Home with Family in Maine

Sorry for the week of relative silence. I deeply appreciate hearing from you and exploring your blogs and websites. It helps me understand and remember how many gorgeous people populate this world. I spent the week in Maine, land of my ancestors, where I celebrated my sister’s 60th birthday and spent some good time with my parents who are in their 80’s. They are still independent in their own home, but for me, it was a deeper facing of the fact that they will go on their final journey in the near future.

My favorite brother-in-law and I talked into the night about what happened in his family when his father and then his mother died, quite recently. Families who already have conflicts, a lot of us I think, will really suffer when the parents die. I’m looking for wisdom on what steps to take to help the process. I am the oldest child in my family. I guess I should step up and take the matriarchal position of counselor, helper, instigator of what needs to happen.

Any insights, suggestions, places of guidance? There are great rifts and wounds in my family. Maybe we will heal through all that is coming up. Who knows, but it may be like having a baby to save a bad marriage. It rarely works.

No comments: