Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gift Economy and Global Warming


It's amazing how fast the summer flies. Spent yesterday on a long steep mountain hike, only my second of the season. It's such refreshment to the soul and to relationship. We had so much snow this winter, everything is abundant right now. Babies of all sorts, wild flowers, insects all really born of the rushing creeks and rivers that feed and wash us away. A record four people have died in the river that runs through town and countless others have been rescued.

Relationship is the essence of life and we humans often forget our small place in the whole world and then even smaller place in a gorgeous Universe. Which brings me back to my constant harping on the Gift Economy and Permaculture. I read a great blogger http://simonreeves.blogspot.com/
on Gift Economy and relationships.

I've been struggling lately with my relationship to a community I returned to. Many of my attempts at giving gifts of time, energy, events, etc. have been ignored or rejected. After a year of that, I came to the conclusion that I should stop giving. Maybe I'm just in the process of learning something new. It's really new not to have what I'm offering the community, see: www.neighborhooduniversecity.com
not be received. In permaculture fashion, I have been watching the earth, my garden, etc. and one thing I'm observing is that during stressful times, e.g. global warming, etc. plants produce in great abundance. There are hundreds of small elm trees growing as tiny seedlings in my garden.
So, maybe instead of doing less, I'll do more.

That's all for today. Thanks for you comments. Love to hear from you.
JJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good to hear of your inspiration of the hike.

Try giving your creativity such as publishing your creative works yourself on a website as a free book. You might also do a free audiobook. Please read Chris Anderson's (of The Long Tail fame) thoughts on Free. As a beginning author you should not be looking for money by selling your work but you should instead be looking for attention, and the best way to get that is to give your creativity freely. Money may follow but you need the attention first to build a following and get known.

Just my $.02 worth.

I think the reward often comes in the knowledge that you offered and not in whether someone accepted your gift or not. People in this society are very reluctant to accept anything because they do not want to feel indebted. People need to be taught how to see when gifts are given through love or friendship and not as some type of exchange.